Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas in iraq

Well, Christmas here was a little different than it was last year. Okay I lied it was a lot different than last year and every other year, save for 1993. In 1993 I spent all of my holidays off the coast of Somalia. Yea, those were the days and how history repeats itself. I don't know if anyone else sees the similarities, Somalia a muslim country and Iraq a muslim country, "things that make you say hmmmmmm". The biggest difference is of course back then I did not have my beautiful wife and precious daughter to miss. And I miss them so much.

We had a fairly nice Christmas given the location. On Christmas Eve there was a parade that was made up of the different units and their vehicles. They drove around throwing candy at everyone. It was nice. They actually judged the "floats" but I am not sure who won. I do know though that all the rats and other rodents will love all the candy that's still out on the ground.
Jeff dressed up as Santa and gave everyone holiday cheer. We went to chow on Christmas day and it was actually pretty nice. They decorated the chow hall up again (much like they did for Thanksgiving) and did a really good job. In addition to all the decorations, they also had dancers do some arabic dance that was entertaining to watch. No, they weren't the sexy arabic women dancers you are thinking about. They were just some dudes dancing up on the stage. Below I have posted the video of them dancing. I have also posted several pics of Christmas Eve and Christmas day. Hope you all enjoy them.

Okay here's a few pictures of the parade that rolled through our block on Christmas Eve. There were several creative rides made here. Take a look:

The Grinch and his crew.


Now this is what I call a Christmas Sleigh. Check out the guns. That's what I'm talking about.

Get some.








Here's Jeff, I mean Santa, with some of his reindeer but one of them lost their antlers and is wearing a stocking cap. The sleigh wasn't much more than our ambulance with Santa sitting in the back with the doors open. Pretty original, huh? Uhhh, yea, I don't think we won...

These next pictures are of our Christmas dinner at the chow hall.



Here's a couple pictures of some bread and watermelons that they carved up into these fancy food designs. Very talented.


These are pictures of the entry and the food line.





Here's us giving a little toast for the Christmas meal. Yeah it's non-alcoholic eggnog but it's the best we can do.




This is the stage that the dancers are on. Below is their video.



You Saw the pictures of the Chow hall now here are some pics of our place. Check out the spread and our beautiful tree. I don't see much of a difference, do you?




Here Santa is luring his victims in with his candy.


I hadn't eaten all day and did you see our spread! I mean come on who you trying to feed with that. I felt so vulnerable.

Here's Santa and all his reindeer and elves.

I think Jeff enjoyed his time as Santa way too much. And he did not get me what I wanted for Christmas!

I hope all of you had a wonderful Christmas. In spite of all the recessions and hectic holiday crowds I hope everyone took time to remember the REAL reason for the season. It's not the family time and it's definitely not the presents. It's God's love for us and the gift of His son. Have a safe and wonderful New Years.

1 comment:

erjjones said...

We miss you Bryan - Your Christmas pictures are pretty cool - I like the decorated hum-v!

Eric, Jessica, & Maddix