Monday, August 3, 2009

my last blog from iraq

Well, the time has finally come and we are headed home. We are actually training the new unit now to take over. It's mostly admin stuff, the providers have already taken over the clinic. We tried to come in today and offer some help but they told us they have it under control. Our hands are washed of this clinic and I have seen my last patient. Well, that's not entirely true our supply Sergent wants me to see her for something because she feels more comfortable with us verses the new providers. So I will see what's up with her but that will be my last patient in Iraq. We have about a week to go then we fly out of here only to sit in Kuwait for days. Then we will finally get to fly home. It will be nice to set foot on US soil again. This time for good. What a great feeling. I really, really hate this sand and heat.

Well, to update you all on the soccer season (I know all of you have been waiting for me to post the results) we won it all! We had a controversy lost to the Puerto Ricans and I severally pulled my hamstring but we earned enough points throughout the season to win the season. There was a post-season tournament which we won as well. Oddly enough it was us (the number one ranked team) verses the last place team. The game went into penalty kicks. We won 1-1 (2-0). Would it be bragging if I said I scored twice in the championship game and with a torn hamstring? Those two goals help me to tie Mike Roscoe for the scoring record. We each had 4 goals for the season (and I missed the last game and a half due to my injury). Believe me I hate to mention that but Mike was not letting me live it down when he was 2 goals ahead of me. Now I do have to mention that I missed about 6 legitimate chances on goal, about half of which were from Mike and it was Mike's shot on goal that I caught the rebound and put it in the net. It was a good season overall and we had a blast... we got a first place trophy and I am still nursing a torn hamstring. I will post pictures of the trophy and our championship team when I get them. My internet has been severely reduced now that we are living in transient housing.

I can't wait to see all of you. Thank you for all you thoughts and prayers during this deployment and thank you all for your thought full packages and letters. I am so blessed to have people in my life that care for me the way you all have. Thank you again. See you soon.

1 comment:

Polski said...

Well Bryan, home at last! I just found out yesterday that you will be back to work Monday. I lost your email addy. I didn't know you had a blog. I don't get to talk much to the people at work since we left in 2007. I'm sure you understand.

I just really want to welcome you home! Please know that I thought of you and your family much and prayed for you all as well while you were gone and did ask about you to A.N. at the office who really didn't have much information.

WELCOME HOME! It surely will be good to type your name again on the surgery notes! :-)