Saturday, January 24, 2009

just another day



Today I received a letter from a little girl that had written me before Christmas. I thought it was so cute and very thoughtful that she and some of her classmates had taken the time to write me. They asked several questions about me so I decided to take the time and write each of them back. As I wrote them back I sent the letters to their teacher for her to distribute to them. Well, I received another letter from this particular young lady and once again she asked about me and wanted to know more about my family, my job and me. In addition she took the privy to enlighten me that I had misspelled a word. In the original letter I sent to her I was telling her about my little girl and how sweet she is. The problem is I made the typo of "sweat" and not "sweet". So, in the same sentence of asking me how I was doing was 'oh by the way you can't spell sweet'.
There's nothing more humbling than a fifth grader correcting your spelling. To pour salt on this open wound Jeff got a hold of the letter and somehow thought it would be funny to take it back to his room. He thought it would be hilarious to finish off humiliating me and posting it on his blog. Why not? Why wouldn’t that be funny?? Apparently, I will have to have a fifth grader proof read my letters from now so my misspellings won't end up for the world to see. What great friends we have, huh?
Well, we are still trying to work this schedule out. We have been short several providers this past month. This month we were supposed to have a "changing of the guards" and three new docs were to come in. See the docs are only 90 dayers while we PAs are full timers (which was supposed to change and only be 180 days but lets not get into that). One of the docs cancelled early on then another one got re-assigned to another unit leaving us with only one doc coming in for this 90-day rotation. Uhhhhh, have I failed to mention that we are the busiest clinic in Iraq and we have been working non-stop? So we were only supposed to get one doc in until Andy, our family practice doc (I had mentioned him in one of my earlier posts) extended for another 90 days. God bless him! But just as quickly as he extended an order came down requesting us to send one of our providers somewhere south in the middle of nowhere. Andy jumped on that opportunity. So even though we got a new doc in we are losing one for about 6 weeks. That puts us back to being 2 down. Can someone throw us a bone? Well, as the good Lord works in mysterious ways we got word a few days ago that a good friend of ours is coming out here to help us. His name is Jones, Dr. Mike Jones. He worked with us back in Indiana. Somehow he was contacted and lured into coming out here for a tour maybe two. He was one of the docs who took care of Saddam just before he was executed. Now there are some crazy stories with that. Saddam seem to really like Doc Jones. Maybe he saw a way of escaping by befriending the doctor and maybe he would just open the door for him to walk away. Who knows but that didn’t happen even when Saddam offered to make him royalty. Yea, like that would have ever happened. He would have been a Prince of the Dirt and lived 6 feet down. We all enjoy working with Mike and are glad he is coming next month.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ok - so I first read about the 5th grader correcting you on Jeffy's blog and laughed so hard, I had to share it with Les (CPT Good) when we were doing PT Monday. We got to laughing so hard about Jeff harassing you and all things in his blog that I almost peed my pants.
Then I went on to tell her about someone commenting on Jeff's blog about you and Jeff spending so much time together and other innuendos - or maybe that was Jeffy himself making the innuendos... Needless to say you should have known he had a thing for "your Orbitz-gumlike white smile" -after all he did try and get you to room with him back at one of the SRPs.
Anyway, nice to see you guys are taking care of each other. And take care of MAJ Jones (aka "Mickey"), too. We miss you guys a bunch and can't wait for all of you to get back.
One more thing - Congrats on your promotion! Glad to see it finally went through!
Ok, one more thing- you're little one is a doll!